Friday, July 28, 2017

These Were NOT My Vows

























Our marriage ceremony was simple and traditional. Except for a little glitch
which resulted in me forgetting to say, “for richer, for poorer,” we made all
the usual promises to each other. (Thankfully that richer, poorer thing has never
been an issue.) And I’m incredibly blessed to be able to say that we’ve kept our
promises almost thirty-nine years now.

But lately I’ve been rethinking our vows – not out of doubt or want, but because
of the growing realization that there has been so much more; beyond love, honor,
and faithfulness. So...these are some of the things I’ve thought about – things
we’ve done with and for each other, which maybe could have been part of our
wedding ceremony.

I WILL LISTEN TO YOU

I have listened to you preaching for over thirty years. You say I could preach some
of your sermons myself, but I doubt it. Those words have your heart behind them.

I’ve listened to your talks with your brothers and cousin, and my siblings. I’ve heard
you faithfully talk with your mother, and your friends. I see how important these relationships are to you.

I remember you singing and reading to our children; your prayers for them have been
part of a rock-solid foundation since before they were born. And I still hear as you
sing and read to and bless our grandchildren.

I listen as you rhapsodize about God, about history, about politics. And you listen as
I read you books I love, even if they aren’t your favorite, or words I write even when
they need polishing.

Somehow, we haven’t run out of things to talk about. I think that when we do, we’ll
still be really comfortable in silence, for all of our words have revealed our hearts.

I WILL PLAY WITH YOU

It started with Scrabble, then we played so much we stopped keeping track. Cribbage, Hand and Foot, Bupkiss, Chinese checkers, ping pong, Settlers of Catan, Pandemic,
Phase 10…I think we will always make time for games. Even when we hadn’t the
money for a movie or dinner, we have been together…a little competitive, sometimes helping, sometimes not, but together nonetheless. Even now, in the electronic age,
when you hold up your phone and raise your eyebrow, I will say yes to Scrabble.

I WILL SHARE YOU

We adopted the phrase, “I am for you,” from Star Trek. But you are not just for me.
You are a father, a son, a brother, a grandfather, a shepherd, a friend, a leader, a
student. Sometimes others have needed you more than I. Sometimes you have needed
to be away; for work, for play, for necessity, to have time with God, or time with a
video game or time to retreat. I will not complain even while I miss you, and I will go where I need to go, so you can share me too.

I WILL NOT BE YOUR GOD

This one took a while to figure out. We are two very different people, and while you
do enrich me, encourage me, comfort me, care for me – you do not complete me. And I do not complete you. That job is reserved for God. And with that knowledge is great
freedom and relief. I don’t have to fulfill your dreams, direct your path, or comfort
your soul in grief or disappointment. I don’t have to be your Holy Spirit, or your light
in the darkness. I cannot be sufficient for you. I can point to Christ who is all sufficient. I can walk this path with you, and will continue to do so gladly; but I can’t be what
makes you whole. You have filled my life with deep joy, lots of laughter, contentment
and adventure, but you are not my god. We have failed each other sometimes, we’ve disappointed and hurt each other sometimes, and in those times, comfort and help
and strength had to come, not from ourselves, but from the lover of our souls.

I WILL REMEMBER TO BE GRATEFUL

I thank God for you. You’ve been the best life companion for me. You’ve provided for
me, and taken care of me. You’ve sought to serve me with a humble heart. I’ve joked
that your headstone will say, “He lived to serve.” But it’s true. That has been your
motto.

There are so many things to be thankful for about you, but these are just a few:

YOU STILL LOVE ME

YOU TELL ME I’M BEAUTIFUL

YOU ASK FOR MY OPINION

YOU RUB MY FEET

YOU TRY NOT TO WAKE ME UP

YOU CALL ME WHEN YOU’RE AT WORK…THREE MILES AWAY

YOU MAKE ME LAUGH

YOU LIKE MY COOKING

YOU LOVE CHILDREN, ESPECIALLY OURS

It is possible that we’ll be married for thirty-nine more years…not probable, but
possible. And I will no doubt realize that there are more promises we could have
made and should have made. But the most important thing for me is that we
discover
them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

His Shop

  My dad passed away on October 24th at the age of 86. For over thirty years he found joy, purpose and sanctuary in his shop. He created ove...